Tuesday, February 28, 2006

ECMA TV Show

I'll do a post about the last couple of nights when I get to it. For now here's some thoughts about the ECMA awards show.

Wow, CBC, fire your sound guys. That was terrible. Wintersleep sounded pretty good, they were the hilight of the show for me. I always love watching Loel drum and the backup vocals were a nice touch. Chucky Danger are cute but not all that interesting, I expect they'll have a fairly successful career getting token airplay on Magic 93 and playing at high school dances.

I was happy to see Slowcoaster win an award, but really disappointed that the 'alternative rock' award didn't merit being included in the main show presentation and was shuffled off to a 10 second segment in the 'awards given out earlier' sections. Those bands are the ones pushing new musical styles and actually doing something different, and if the ECMA people wanted to appeal to younger people by hiring the Trailer Park Boys to host they really dropped the ball by not making a bigger deal out of this category.

Natalie McMaster's talking about her uncle Buddy and then her performance were wonderful. I was happy to hear a slower, more soulful fiddle tune as opposed ot the stereotypical jigs you usually associate with the cheesiest of Maritime music.

The Trailer Park Boys bits weren't all that funny, and I'm getting sick of the characters rather rapidly, but to be fair it was definitely way better than the skits and canned dialog you hear at most awards shows.

By al - 2:24 a.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger