Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sylvie and From Fiction @ Hunter's

This was a fantastic show. It's funny how on PEI all the best bands that come here do it on a weeknight since they're going to hit Halifax on the weekend. I'm glad they make the trip, though, since it's great to see bands from away as much as I can.

After hitting up trivia (questions and answers here) with Hedder and Mel and Sharlene we managed to walk into hunters without paying cover because someone was being kicked out for fighting and was bleeding all over the doors. I don't think they would have bothered with us if we had tried to pay cover at that point. I guess it was a pretty rough night before we got there, 3 fights which apparently is more than there's ever been at all since the place opened.

I love that I had no reservations about just getting up and scooting away from a conversation when From Fiction started up. I'd been listening to their songs on their MySpace page that day and was pretty pumped.

Their stage presence was fantastic, the drummer would get up and run around during pauses and the other players were all over the place. The temp changes in the songs kept my attention really well, and though their sound was very noisy I still liked it a lot, it fit their style very well. It was sort of a contrast to their recorded stuff which is actually pretty clear, despite the sound. But maybe my rock god Steve Albini doing the recording for them helped that out. Lord help me I had to ask them what it was like working with him, I'm such a fanboy.

Sylvie are fantastic as always. They've got the solidly indie rock sound down pat. The last time they were here they were playing with controller.controller and the crowd at Myron's was thin and dead and in a big room. I'm surprised they came back, to say the least, but the crowd was quite good last night so I hope they had a better experience. I was chatting with one of the guys in the band and he seemed to love it here on the East Coast.

This was a great way to gear up for the ECMA weekend and the no-cases. Though this kind of music will be a little thin on the ground at most places, but the Halifax bands coming for the nocases should be a real bright spot.

Sylvie @ Hunter's

Sylvie @ Hunter's

From Fiction @ Hunter's
Technorati Tags: , , , ,

By al - 2:05 p.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger