Friday, April 28, 2006

Deja Vu

While we're on the topic of video games, I came across a site full of Sega Dreamcast games the other day while digging up some fonts for Moe, and finally got around to burning one onto CD to try it. Street Fighter Alpha 3 was the one I picked, just because I don't have a good 2D beat'em up for DC. The process worked brilliantly, thankfully since my CD burning program was complaining of errors in the CD image. I guess that's normal.

Anyway, it wasn't until I started the game up and found myself doing oddly rather well considering all the weird systems the game uses that I remember I actually used to own the exact same game for Playstation way back when. (The laser on my Playstation broke in the Summer of 2000 right around the time I was getting sick of the thing anyway, and right before I got my beloved DC.

So playing SFA3 on Dreamcast tells me a couple of things. First, the DC's D-Pad is Terrible for 2d fighters. My thumb hurts like a bastard. Maybe I'll ebay myself up an arcade controller or some such. Also, that game is hard. All the combos and charging and counters and super secret moves are just too much information. I'm sure there are only a handful of squirrelly Japanese kids who can play these things the way they were meant to be. I'm goiing to stick to my dragon punch, thanks

I remember stuff like this game's complexity was enough to make me realize I wasn't a 'gamer', whatever that means, since the time investment vs. reward equation didn't balance out for me, and now to think of what you have to do and how much you have to repeat it to get good at something like World of Warcraft just seems bizarre to me.

All that said, SFA3 is still pretty fun even if I do have no hope of mastering it.

By al - 12:20 p.m. |

Comments:
Years of sibling rivalry have embedded the 2D fighter into my DNA.

Growing old sucks. I had to concede the title to my brother last year cause he's *swallows e-pride* better than me. :(
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger