Sunday, March 20, 2005

Why I should have become a cook

**onions, garlic, veggies (broccoli, carrots, celery, potato, peas, etc. - anything goes)
**tin chick peas (1-2)
**tin stewed tomatoes (1-2)
**curry spices (tumeric, cumin, coriander, or a combined 'curry' spice)
**1 tin tomato paste or tomato soup (or coconut milk would work) - something to thicken it up (note: I didn't use this in Halifax).
**curry paste (buy a bottle, they're about $5, and depending on how spicy you like it, add between 1 tbsp to 1/3 bottle).
**firm tofu (optional)
**unsalted whole cashews (optional but these come highly recommended).

Fry onions, garlic, spices & add veggies. Add in stewed tomatoes and the chick peas. If you're using any paste/soup/coconut milk, add this in now too. Spoon in lots of curry paste and any other ingredients and viola! Let it simmer/stew (works well in a crock pot, on the stove top, or in roaster and baked in the oven) until veggies are as soft as you like them, throw in the nuts and serve on top of rice.

Basically, just heap it all in a pot and let it simmer. It's so quick and easy.


above is the recipe a friend sent me.... Here is what I did to hit

In a large sauce pot I fried...1/2 onion, 1 leek, 7 mini sweet peppers (red, yellow orange) a couple of slices of jalapeno, a clove of garlic, a slice of ginger root, and flax seed in 1 tbsp of olive oil and one tbsp of soy/garlic oil.

I then added carrots, celery and broccoli (I had no other veggies around :()
followed by a can of the stewed tomatoes, chick peas, kidney beans and tomato paste.

Then I added the curry paste and spices and for the hell of it a tbsp of Honey and a handful of tvp ( I did not have tofu) and pine nuts.

Basically I added to her recipe, leek, pine nuts,Flax seed, kidney beans and honey....

I really do like warping recipes...The result was awesome...Honey and curry is a great mix...I am sure other people do this...I had not had it before but it was fun.

I tossed the veggies over some brown rice and ate heartily....

feel free to modify to your liking.
Technorati Tags:

By Sabrina - 8:53 p.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger