Monday, August 01, 2005

Howl's Moving Castle will be at City Cinema

I (heart) City Cinema. I haven't been saying that enough late, probably because their recent crop of films has been too bizarre even for me, (and also the mall theatres have been fulfilling my Batman-viewing needs nicely.)

But starting on August 17th for two weeks they're going to be showing Howl's Moving Castle, Hayao Miyazaki's latest film. I have no idea what it's about since I stopped paying attention to the Japanese animation universe sometime in my teen years, but Miyazaki's films are by any measure some of the best pieces of moving picture art ever created.

My favourite is still Princess Mononoke, which Disney put out a few years ago but didn't promote so it never had the mainstream success it should have. Now it seems it's become a pattern that Disney will distribute the film in North America to whichever theatres will specifically try and get them but without spending any money marketing them or taking any kind of a risk.

As we saw with Disney refusing to distribute Fahrenheit 9/11, eventually the highest-grossing documentary film ever made, they can make some pretty stupid decisions. But I'm not complaining too much about this one, at least they're still bringing it over, and I'll be able to see it even if it's not doing a wide theatre run.

Another tidbit, Science Fiction / graphic novel god Neil Gaiman did the English adaptation of Princess Mononoke.

Ming get down to Charlottetown and come watch this when it's in.

By al - 9:19 a.m. |

Comments:
I'll be there for sure. I'll probably have to take a vacation day too. I was tempted to take a trip to Halifax a few weeks back when it was playing down there. It was in Saint John, but I really can justify driving there and I'd probably get lost trying to find the theatre. I was sorta hoping it would coming to Moncton, but that's not likely. Sorta typical really, if it's not popular Moncton doesn't care.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger