Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Mahones - Irish Punk Band

The Mahones rock. I just saw these guys play a show at Brennan's last night. I'd never heard of them before but I had my curiousity piqued when j.pants described them to me as 'like the Pogues but with a harder edge.'

Electric Mandolin? Oh yes.

They also totally played “I Wanna Be Sedated”. I was in the middle of a conversation with e.co., but as soon as I heard the first “Hey! Ho! Let's Go!” By the second one I had joined in, and by the third one I was actually starting to believe that they were really going to play it. Unexpected Ramones is a Good Thing®.

Most Brennan's shows don't get nearly enough people out during the week. Is that just a fact of life or could they do more to promote the bands they do get? It totally sucks when a band like these guys or Lizband comes to the Island and it seems like all the bar does is open the door that night and hope people will just show up.

Great show, though, I had a blast. Plus I picked up their new CD, Rise Again gonna give it a listen right now.

... So far it's a lot more of what you'd expect from a celtic rock band, the distorion and punk vibes have been dialled way back. Still sounds really good, the playing is really precise and the drums sound great, production is top-notch. Should I check out some of their older stuff to get that sound back, I wonder? I wish they had some media available on their website so I could see what their other albums are like.

Pants and I got to talk to a couple of the members last night. Mostly we talked about the Ramones documentary, and how Dee Dee may not be the best known Ramone, but he was the one with heart. (one of the dudes was wearing a Ramones t-shirt, and I remember a Clash sticker somewhere as well.
Technorati Tags: , , ,

By al - 6:33 a.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger