Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Love letter

Dammit. I can't not comment on Halo 2. Just adding to the free publicity.

Wow. I've seen console launches before. Short supply. Rabid fans. Line ups. But I've yet to see the fervor repeated for a single game. Granted, back in the NES days, Mario generated this kind of pandemonium.

I picked up my copy on release day. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that our Electronics Boutique was open at midnight. There was a steady procession of nerds right to the mall doors. I would have been there had I known.

Still, there was a short lineup when I went. Man, I'd hate to be an EB employee right then and there. The phones were constantly ringing asking for Halo 2. Heck, after a few utterances I'd shorten "Good day, welcome to EB your Halo 2 headquarters." to "It's in.". The clerks looked quite weary. Them's the breaks though for working the front line.

Then I get home and Halo 2 is in the newspapers and on TV. Damn, MS really knows how to do a media blitz. Normally I'd pass this off as an advertiser's wet dream, but the software delivers. Thank goodness game sequels are usually superior creations, unlike movies. Seven thumbs up.

I have my doubts that Halo 2 will beat The Sims 2 or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. But hot damn it feels good to have a balls to the wall gamer's game in the spotlight. Kudos to Microsoft for buying Bungie. Recipe for success: Take a bunch of very talented people making games for a system nobody plays on. Add copious amounts of development dollars. Build a better system. Stir. Bake at 450.

Best. Buyout. Ever.

By TVT - 10:50 a.m. |

Comments:
My font is in Xbox green. Fuck yeah.
 
According to my boss (who still did get to go to the games summit) a good deal of the work on Halo 2 was done in a studio in Montreal. Apparently there's quite a mature games industry there, with guys like MS, EA, UbiSoft and a few others. Pretty neat.

/still bitter at ACOA for being too slow with the $$s)
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger