Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Coolant flush

Hey guys. I saw that all responded quickly to Peter's car question. I was hopping you can make some suggestions when I ask my car questions. The other day I was getting an oil change and after they were finished it occurred to me that I had more options.

What are peoples opinion on synthetic oil?

Secondly the mechanic suggested I get a coolant flush. I am not sure I understand what that is. But I am curious about how necessary this is. Or is this one of those things they suggest that isn't really necessary.

Some one suggested to me that I can drain the old coolant fluid and put new fluid in it. It apparently won't get rid of all of the old fluid it but it would be sufficient for keeping my car from freezing. Is this true...What kind of options do I have.

thanks

By Sabrina - 10:06 p.m. |

Comments:
Synthetic oil, isn't really necessary for all cars. If you maintain a religious cycle of checkups and oil changes then I wouldn't bother. If you're super anal about your car then I would suggest it. It basically lubricates your engine better than regular oil and breaks down slower I find.

Coolant flush info. You can do it yourself if you want.

My only advice on car repair is:
Maintaining a car can be expensive, but sometimes putting things off can get more expensive.

It's getting close to winter time. The time where vehicle problems can be a pain if you're in the cold. Get everything checked out beforehand. Happy motoring.
 
I don't think there's really a difference between synthetic oil or not, for average people anyways. I'd only be worried about using the grade of oil recommended by the manufacturer and changing the oil as required.

If it's really necessary, draining the coolant and replacing it should work. Regardless, there's going to be crud that will stick in the system whether you do a full flush or not. If there's a lot of crud in with your coolant, a flush would probably be better.
 
Several cabbies I've talked to swear by synthetic oil. But again, these are guys who drive for like 12 hours a day.

Here's a blurb about a Consumer Reports investigation into lubricants. Their finding: It pretty much doesn't matter.
 
A second reason I was looking into synthetic oil is that I am a synthetic chemist...meaning if the stuff works I would be supporting the industry I work in...
 
I wouldn't go so far as to say synthetic oil is useless. It does have it's applications otherwise they wouldn't bother making it. If you own a Viper or Corvette then it comes with synthetic from the factory.

It's like the Regular vs Supreme gas debate. You should only use it if your engine requires it. I'll go on a limb and say you're not a car nut Binnie. Synthetic chemist or not, stick with cheaper dinosaur oil. :)
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger