Saturday, October 08, 2005

Day 2 and three

Still in Toronto.
So far this has been pretty cool. I hit the museum yesterday, and was disappointed because the paleontology display was closed. Oh well still got to see lots on neat things. The Islam display caught my attention, I think mostly because I don't know that much about Islam history. The display that was easily my favorite was the birds. It was beautiful display of plumage.
Today was the Bodyworlds display. That was one of the most interesting things I have ever seen. And the display was packed full of science geeks such as myself. We couldn't take picture, so I will have to describe it too the readers of the Hallway.
They ease you into the display with a series of scull and various other bones and skeletons. Then slowly they add bits of connective tissue. For me the baby skull was really fascinating as well as the various parts that had inserts,or metal plates. The spinabifida spine was educational. Along the display there were crossection slices of humans where you could see tumors or other disease. I was enchanted to say the least.
There was humans designed of just there nervous system and other were you saw only the cardiovascular system.
Then as you move in there was whole bodies where the layers pealed back displaying internal organs and how muscle and skin connect. The display also included fetus from 4 weeks to 8 weeks and then several in the later months of pregnancy. The 8 week old fetus had little formed fingers and was cute in a white and translucent way. The piece on display I thought was the most fascinating was a woman in her 5th month of pregnancy. The layers were peeled back so that you could see the fetus. (The woman apparently had died of lung cancer.)
A few interesting pieces involved bodies in various positions, such as a yoga pose, a ballet dancer a pair of ice skaters. Each pose allowed for visions into the human body that were truly fascinating.

By Sabrina - 11:15 p.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger