Thursday, August 11, 2005

Celica Engine Differences (1ZZ-FE vs. 2ZZ-GE)

I was reading up on the history of the Toyota Corolla and Toyota Celica on Wikipedia and decided to follow some tech articles. I always assumed since the two engines were so identical, they basically performed the same except at the high RPM range where the VVTL-i and high-lift cams kicked in. I knew the bore and stroke were different too, but I didn't think it made that much of a difference and I never really test drove a GT-S to do a comparison. I ran across this interesting tidbit (on www.toysport.com) which really hit me:

It is very interesting to note the difference between the two engines. The 1ZZFE and 2ZZGE are of the same displacement, but their bore and stroke are different. The 1ZZFE “izzy” with the FE head is the quick response, high torque model- has a longer stroke ratio, to further improve the torque characteristic. The 2ZZGE “duzzy” with the sports type GE head is the high RPM, higher HP unit- with a square bore / stroke ratio. This allows it to rev and deliver power in the higher RPM range.

The driving characteristic of both engines are dramatically evident. In the 2000 Celica, where both engines are offered- the GT with the 1ZZFE is easier and smoother to drive- more responsive. The GTS with the 2ZZGE starts [off] lazier, and need lots of pedal- but ultimately more HP. Which is a good contrast- drivers now know the trade-off between drivability and horsepower. A lot of people who tested the cars opted for the more responsive GT model, although they were initially looking for power. The power band characteristic of the two engines offer a good choice- chooses which is more important.


Chalk up another reason why I like my Celica best.

By Ming - 4:53 p.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger