Wednesday, January 26, 2005

An Hour in the (sort of) Big City

Trying to find the passport office in Halifax today is an excellent example of why I think I'm just not made for big city life. (and yes, by my standards Halifax is a big enough city) Walking up and down one-way, hilly streets.. finally getting to the building where it's in, remember to take the correct set of elevators, as there are multiple sets for different parts of the Maritime mall complex.. To Charlottetown even the idea of an elevator is a bit of a novelty. Then it's up to te correct floor, in an elevator that gives you that queasy feeling, and down bland corridors until you find the office you're looking for.

And after all that you have to take a number and sit and wait your turn just to get a damn passport. I didn't want to go through my MP because my little sister had a truly awful experience getting hers, with it taking nearly 8 weeks and no end of problems. So I figured I'd just do it the direct route.

But in the end I'm now torn between thinking Halifax is too much city for me and wanting to move there because Charlottetown is too much of a joke in so many ways. Too many businesses trying to live off of being an 'island' business, likewise with bands and artists and writers. University Ave. is te ugliest damn street in Canada with all its big box stores.. About the only place I've seen with worse city planning is Halifax's suburbs, but I'll likely never have to worry about those :)

I'm critical of the Island because I'm more familiar with it, I suppose. I certainly have many things to say about Fredericton from my time there. I still like Freddie for its layout and happy memories from University days. It was sorely lacking in the good places to eat department. Charlottetown is the opposite, lot of places to eat out and of course there's City Cinema, but awful layout and still don't know many people here, only a few good friends. (but that's not a bad start, better than if I just picked up and moved someplace else.)

I guess for me my job will always be the main factor for where I go. I'd rather have a good job in a dull place than vice versa, since I seem to spend most of my waking hours working. :)
Technorati Tags: ,

By al - 11:18 p.m. |

Comments:
I thought like that when I was still in University. As long as the job was good, it really didn't matter where the job was. In reality, I find the little time I spend outside of work means a lot. The first Summer I spend in Summerside was pretty bad. I didn't know anyone, too hot to watch TV or play video games or surf the net, etc. Being bored is pretty horrible; time just drags on and on. I actually took work home for a while to keep me busy, but working all the time isn't much fun either. The whole Moncton thing is a lot of the same stuff (though I've lost my desire to bring work home with me). Adjusting to a new place is hard sometimes.

Personally, I don't think there's such thing as a dull place. It's all a matter of what you do and who you spend it with.
 
That's turning into my conclusion as well I think.. it's more important to get to know a few people than anythingelse.

But if I dislike my job it would take a whole heck of a lot to make up for that :)
 
haha, yep, just an image I stole off of Google Image Search :)

(the snow removal in Hali is much better than here, but not _that_ good ;) )
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger