Thursday, November 11, 2004

Remainders: Wasted Day Off Edition

  • What the shit is wrong with me that I am unable to wake up if I don't have to go to work? I was over at Justin's place pretty late lsat night, yeah, but no where near late enough to warrant sleeping through daylight today.
  • While at Justin's place last night we watched the 10th anniversary director's cut of Clerks. It looked and sounded like shit because they didn't clean it up at all (this was intentional). The intro was just Kevin Smith and Steve Mosher talking about the movie Road House for 10 minutes, and in the end Dante gets shot by someone robbing the convenience store, for no other reason than because Kevin Smith was a first year film student at the time and thought he would be cool and break convention. Thankfully Miramax wouldn't allow it and that bit of adolescent rebelliousness was rightly crushed. The other thing that they cut out of the movie that was in this version was a lot more arguing and tension between Dante and Veronica, which goes explains a lot better his otherwise inexplicable desire to leave that relationship and go back with Caitlin. Perhaps the way the movie ended up was the first step towards the 'main characters in Kevin Smith movies do idiotic things for no reason' theme which seems to have stuck.
  • The new U2 album is excellent, but I wish the songs were each a little longer, I almost feel cheated not hearing them go deeper into some of the very cool constructions they come up with for the album only to use them for 2-minute long songs.
  • Reading some of the things I've been seeing about just how fucked up the last US election was I'm definitely going to try doubly hard to keep up my news blackout. Enough of them seem to want authoritarianism that cutting ties and letting the empire fall on its own seems to be the best approach.
  • Looks like I won't be able to use my “don't say no-sir, say Yassir” joke anymore. Actually I was still waiting for a context in which to use it for the first time.
  • The new Nirvana boxed set is coming out.. I'm not going to fall into the trap of buying shit like that, but the trailer I watched of it on MTV.com actually has stuff I've never heard before. I didn't think they'd have anything left by now. They haven't gotten to the “Free as a Bird” stage yet, but they're getting there.

By al - 9:42 p.m. |

Comments:
c'mon now alex, if there was alot of stuff you didnt recognize on there then you obviously havent heard much of the rarities. And as for the songs that I didnt know, they were songs that people had known had existed for years, they just didnt get them out.

And as for what they have left, dont be suprised to another collection. As someone who has followed Nirvana trading circles for years, I can tell you there is alot of stuff that didnt even make the boxset. And thats not even considering the possible dvds that could have been made.
 
That's good to hear. I was as big a Nirvana fan as anyone my age back then, but sort of lost track after about '96 or so, though I've heard a fair few of the rare stuff from other people.
 
as good as this boxset will be, there are alot of people who are dissapointed by the exclusion of the fecal matter demo tapes, as well as a dvd of the sao paulo brazil show. The reason that particular show is noteworthy is that The fans threw shoes at the opening band so Kurt and the band decided to not play SLTS, and instead just jammed around for a couple of hours, playing old covers like seasons in the sun and a devo cover.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger