Tuesday, July 27, 2004

You, give me a job.

The absolute worst part of sending out a job application is when they ask you what your salary requirements are. I've been living on a graduate teaching assistanceship for 2 years, I have no conception of what people make in the non-slave economy.

If I was to be totally honest I'd put "just pay me enough so I can eat and give me something to occupy my mind for 8 hours a day and I'll be grateful." If I thought the person reading my application wasn't a soulless, witless HR troll I might actually write that in.

Just to be a little more honest about my priorities, perhaps I should re-arrange my C.V. a bit, under "education" I should put my high school, and under hobbies I'll put "Bachelor of Computer Science, Master's of Computer Science". With all my education, though, I still think the coolest thing I ever made was the Dr. Mario clone I wrote in Pascal in grade 11.

It's probably best I don't make a lot of money. Among people I know the ratio of income to expenses is doesn't seem to change as income rises, they just keep spending more and more money to keep up with what's coming in, and I know I don't have the energy to do that much shopping. If 'wandering minstrel / philosopher' was still a viable career I'd be all over that. Who paid Socrates' living expenses while he stood on the steps of the Parthenon opining away? Are they still hiring? Not that I have much to say, but people don't really know how to listen properly these days anyway.

By al - 12:09 a.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger