Monday, July 26, 2004

Neo Radio

It's about time. Hopefully it will catch on. From here:
from the can-i-get-an-amen dept.
NPR had a great story yesterday about what I hope is the oncoming death of commercial radio as we know it. Do you ever get sick of how loud, obnoxious, and repetitive radio stations are? how all they play is a small list of hits until they're dead? and how they're so obviously in cahoots with the record companies (who we all know are evil)?

Yes, of course you do. I'm glad we all agree. So listen to the story, it's good.

I just can't believe it's taken so long for anyone in the radio industry to catch on to this idea. We've known what's wrong with radio for years. Did it really take a big consultant to figure this out?

(Here are links to the radio stations they refer to: Denver's The Mountain and San Diego's FM94/9. A report about this done by a radio consultant that NPR links to can be found here.)

By al - 1:31 a.m. |

Comments:
Wow cool, now what if they made that radio station with 'eclectic music and informed commentary' commercial-free? Oh right, the CBC has been doing that for years. ;-)
 
It's funny, that's what the report said, that these new commercial stations were borrowing a lot from public radio, which is actualyl becoming more popular these days.

Of course, if the CBC tried to start a rock-format station the commercial stations would raise hell with the CRTC claiming unfair competition...
 
I love CBC radio. I listen to radio 1 every morning for my daily shot of news and commentary. They do play concerts and stuff of cool artists as well, though I find you have to hunt around for when they're on. I listened more when I was living out in Ottawa as they tended to not talk about farming and stuff as much as over on the East coast.
 
Hey, I was actually googling around for articles on the 'neo radio' stations and the item on your site came up. It was a good summary so I linked to it.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger