Sunday, March 05, 2006

Memos: Hot or Not

  • When I wake up, either in the middle of the night like now or at a normal time (this never happens) theres about a 50/50 chance that my room will either be unbearably hot and stuffy or inhumanly cold. As I type this I am wondering where I put my spare blankets, and should I just get up, put on a wool hoodie and make a large cup of tea.

    Apparently when I was a baby I was thin enough that my arms and legs would turn blue if I wasn't wrapped up. I can sort of picture this happening now.

  • The white noise coming from my laptop's fan is very stifling to the mind.It's as if smog had sound.If this Microsoft Origami thing (cheap tablet PC running WinXP) had a keyboard, even a detachable one, and no fan then I think I could see myself buying one for sure, especially if it made zero noise.

    Is there a utility to clock a laptop back to a speed slow enough that the fan never comes on? You can detune them to extend battery life but what about a setting that would specifically keep the fan off, or have it only come on once in a while?

    Of course even without the fan the other clicks and hums that the thing makes aren't exactly warm, comforting sounds. I'm sort of hating machines at the moment. I miss the sound of a cat purring.

  • I'm going to start meditating regularly again. When I was doing it the last time it really struck me how many techniques for calming and slowing down breathing and smoothing out thought that are overtly recognized and employed in various forms of meditation are also snuck into worship ceremonies for most organized religions. "Allah" and "Halelujah", when chanted, are two of the most perfect mantras there aresince they make your voice go low-to-high and bring the breathing from the back of your throat to the front very well.

    I've really grown to dislike ascribing meaning to rituals to cover up their primary effect. It's analagous to a magician's misdirection to convince you that he's in fact performing something magical.

By al - 5:40 a.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger