Friday, December 16, 2005

Swim meet day 1

I took the day off work so that I could watch four of my fourteen swimmers compete at the east cost champions ships (short coarse). This is exciting considering it is my first full year of coaching and the third meet I get to go to is a championship one. I have been asked several times why I would use one of precious days off to do this. Well to be honest, I really needed a day off work. It had become overwhelming there and recently I have realized how much happier I am on the pool deck. But one of the things that makes it most worth it, is when one of the kids has a good swim. All my kids had great swims today. They come back from their race, with smiles, knowing they have gotten personal best times. That moment seeing them come running to you and the High Five is worth more than the money I make at my job.
Today's meet showed that the work I have been doing with them is paying off, watching one girl take 33 seconds off a 400 m freestyle and another take 15 seconds of a 100 free and 14 seconds of a 200 IM swim just gives me confidence in the work I am doing. But the meet also showed what I need to work on.

overall it was a good day. Especially at the end when the parents thank you for the work. That always surprises me.

By Sabrina - 2:56 p.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger