Saturday, January 08, 2005

Picasa + Flickr = Finally, convenience.

Picasa is a great program for grabbing photos off of your digital camera and organizing them into albums and emailing and printing them. It synchs automatically with my memory card when I put it in my laptop, and only grabs the new photos. Sort of a poor man's iPhoto, but it's the best I've found for Windows so far.

Flickr, on the other hand, is a website that lets you upload your photos and share them as galleries that can be shared and pooled with other users, as well as posted to blogs. It has a nice feature that lets you email pictures to it instead of doing the awkward upload process that most other sites make you go through. It also gives you another email address where you can mail your photo(s) to and it will create a blog post for you that includes the pictures as well as using the text of your email as the blog post itself.

If you click on the button in the ‘Photo Galleries’ section of the sidebar it will take you to my Flickr page. It's sort of a photo version of my del.icio.us links, including the ability to tag each photo or set of photos and later view all your images with a given tag.

So I've gotten the two systems to play relatively nice with each other, now. I use Picasa to import and organize my galleries, and then I click on the 'email photos' button and send them straight to Flickr. Seems to work pretty well so far. The free Flickr account limits you to 100 public photos at a time, but that should be OK for now.

Here's a little test batch I did because the sun was in a really nice place in the sky this afternoon as I was out walking downtown.

Province House, Grafton St. in Winter, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

Grafton St., Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

8 photos
Technorati Tags: , , , ,

By al - 4:23 p.m. |

Comments:
A picture can say more than a thousand words... hope u were not reading them while taking the pictures...you did great...mr. photographer
 
There's just something really fascinating about old buildings and trees without leaves..
 
Great link, Al. I've hooked up The Immortals' already and flickr is both great and super easy to use. And now I can post all sorts of pictures of dumb things that happen in Toronto w/o taking up the Praxis webspace. Because, like, I still can't figure out how to use my bloody school account.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger