Friday, January 07, 2005

Firmware Problems

I finally ran into one of those problem devices. The one that doesn't work and constantly requires you to update the firmware so it works. . . until the next problem arises and you have to update again. I got my iRiver mp3 player back when I was jobless and I needed some cheering up. The thing didn't work too well out of the box, but an update to the firmware and PC software got the thing to work more realiably.

Yesterday, I found out the mp3's I dumped on the device, wouldn't play. I was quite peeved as I didn't bring my laptop and cables in so I was stuck with the few songs that did work. Sure enough, looked on the web and there had been 22 revisions of the firmware since the last time I downloaded it. With the new firmware, it nows plays the mp3s it didn't before, I have need EQ features, and now I can use the device as a USB mass storage device, which was one of the original reasons why I bought the damned thing to start with. I like the new features and all, but consumer devices SHOULD WORK PROPERLY out of the box.

By Ming - 1:41 p.m. |

Comments:
Stories like that really make me wonder what kind of quality testing companies like that even do, and if they care about their reputations at all...
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger