Sunday, November 14, 2004

Having an Average Weekend

Not much going on this weekend. Or, that is to say, I'm not doing much this weekend of note.
  • Watched the middle 2 discs of my Freaks and Geeks DVD set. God I love that show. It's probably the most accurate depiction of what high school was like for ‘‘the rest of us.’’ If you haven't seen it you should get it. When my sister Katherine was home for a couple of weeks from Mexico we started watching it and it just hit us that we would each react to the respective halves of the story (me the geek and her the smart-girl-turned-freak, just as the main characters in the show, also brother and sister, were.) During half of the scenes I'd be laughing my ass off or suffering incredible vicarious soul-crushing social embarrassment, while she would nearly lose it whenever the character Lindsey would get sucked into some disaster or other with her group of friends. The fact that the show got cancelled after its 18-episode run kind of sucks, but it stands as one of my favourite TV series ever.
  • I really miss my sister. Anyone up for a trip down to Cabo San Lucas over the Christmas break?
  • I just added a couple more neighbours to the sidebar, mostly so I can keep track of which blogs I like to read regularly. (This means they're good.. or at least I think so. :) ) I also got rid of a few of the US politics-oriented sites. Except Wonkette.
  • I've not been able to shut up about how good the remixes of ““Even Flow”” and ““Once” that Justin pointed me to today are. (They come from the Rearviewmirror greatest hits album.) The original mixes on Ten were very distortion-heavy, in keeping with the grunge craze, but hearing a cleaned up, more bare version you can really get to pick out what was underneath all that extra noise, and they really sound a lot more like the stuff on Vs. and Vitalogy. “Even Flow” has a very funky groove underneath it that rises up near the end and changes the whole song. Pearl Jam should re-do the whole album this way.
  • In other music-related news, I'm a bit late in mentioning it but Björk's new album Medulla is as good as all the pretentious know-it-all music jerks say it is. It's all done with vocals, and some of the parts are so subtle that they sneak up on you, like a very excited breathing track that absorbs your whole attention when you finally realize it's there and you are captivated.

By al - 1:37 a.m. |

Comments:
I just want to note, as a pretentios know-it-all music jerk, that if you are going to do an acapella album, getting such noted vox freaks as Mike Patton, Rahzel, and the unequaled Robert Wyatt is a good way to do it. And as a pretentious never-really-thought-bjork-was-that-good jerk, I'm not entirely convined that there presence is not the *only* reason it is so good.
 
Evidently the cabal of pretentious music jerks hadn't met to come to a consensus on their opinion of the album when I got it and started poking around for reviews.

Either that, or someone is merely pretending to be a pretentious music jerk, but not toeing the proper line. I feel duped.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger