Saturday, October 29, 2005

Dream Diary: I Fucking Hate Guard Dogs

dream

I start out in downtown charlottetown. Someone from locals apparently owns their own little coffee shop in a corner space in a nice well-lit spot. The sign outside says their nickname in fancy cursive writing. This is mostly because I read locals way too much so people's nicknames are probably burned into my head. I don't meet them in the dream, the name is just there.

Standing outside I am talking to a few people I run into, mostly about work stuff. No one in particular, just random strangers who seem to know what I'm up to somehow.

I get a message that an old friend of mine, k., from when I was a kid wants me to come over and play basketball with him and a few of his friends. I decide to go, and to walk to his place, since to get there I have to walk through the area of town where I grew up.

I print off a Google map of the route, and look at it. It's sort of a much-magnified version of the real life route from downtown to the area past Brighton. It involves going on the boardwalk then through some woods.

To get to the boardwalk one must first go through the forest in Victoria park. It's more overgrown than in real life. You emerge onto the boardwalk at one point totally not expecting it to be there. The boardwalk is on the side of a hill that you can't see over, so there's whater on the left and the hill on the right and nothing else.

Walking along the boardwalk eventually things start to get over-grown again and it start to go through a wooded area. I look on the map and it shows that I'm supposed to go through a forest, but that k.'s house is on the other side, at the end of a smal little culvert street near the end of a road named Queen Elizabeth Dr. (Again fitting with the map.)

The boardwalk becomes one of those floaty things like at the Greenwich provincial park where you walk right on the water. I get the feeling that no one has been here in a while. I look at the map again and it all makes sense, though, the river on the left and a pond on the right with the little path separating the two.

the boardwalk ends at the endtrance to a clearing in the woods. I suddenly hear dogs barking angrily.

The clearing looks like the old forest by the house where I grew up. We used to call it the 'fort'. I see by the map that there is a trail leading away from the clearing that I'm supposed to follow, but that the trail has a fence running down the middle of it. On the right the trail goes off to some private land and on the left it eventually leads me to where I'm supposed to be.

I get to the beginning of this path, and there is the fence, but also there are two large black guard dogs at the entrance to the path on the right. They are on leashes and can't get at me right then, but they want to. I know I have to walk along the other side of this trail. I start to walk, but then that's when I realize that as soon as I start along this trail the leashes that the dogs are on are more than long enough for them to reach me. They easily jump through the gaps in the little fence and start to growl menacingly at me. I have to yell at them to keep them at bay, this mostly works but they keep ocming.

At the end of the trail is an entrance to some kind of corporate building, with bright lights and an orange-ish floor and a reception desk. One of the dogs has grabbbed onto my arm at this point, and as I walk up to the receptionist I finally start punching at the dog and get it to let go and it runs off.

The receptionist apologizes for the dogs, says they don't quite know what to do about them and that they have been causing some trouble lately.

Somehow the original purpose of my walk has changed, and I tell the receptionist that I am there for an interview. I ask for someone named 'Bev'. (probably a generic HR lady kind of name.) She motions me to the end of the hall. Before I go in I ask another young woman passing by where the washroom is. She points me to it and I go in to try and straighten myself out after dealing with the dogs. I wash my hands and face and look in the mirror and see myself bundled up in winter gear, including gloves and a toque.

There is a switch on the wall, I flip it and the song ‘Kiss Me’ by Sixpense None the Richer starts to play, a little too loudly. I pretend I didn't do it and walk into Bev's office.

I realize I have no idea why I'm there, and generic HR lady Bev just says 'well, you got past the dogs, that certainly counts for a lot.'

awake.
Technorati Tags:

By al - 5:44 a.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger