Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Posting from an Intel-based Mac

This is unbelievable, I'm here at a Macintosh computer running on an Intel 3.6GHz processor. It's no different from running on PowerPC, all the default Apple applications work perfectly, like Safari, Xcode, iChat, Mail and all the rest.

Performance seems to be about the same as my Dual G5 at work, but since this is a single processor machine with a much more inexpensive processor that's quite good. The development boxes are selling through apple to premier ADC members for $999, I'm hoping this is an indication of a wider trend in pricing once the Intel switch takes place at the end of the year.

I'm currently trying to compile the Ogg Vorbis libraries for Apple/Intel, and if I can get those I should be able to compile the 3D game engine that I'm playing with to Intel. That should impress the cool apple dudes.

I can only imagine that Microsoft are shitting themselves right now. Think of it, Apple's operating system is running circles around Windows, and now Intel is no longer dependent on Microsoft. I'm sure it's actually been quite frustrating for Intel to have to be judged by the quality of Microsoft's OS. Gates law cutting off Moore's law at every turn. (Gates' law: every 18 months the speed of software halves.)

Think about it, who's software is Intel going to use to show off their great new processors? It sure isn't going to be tired old Windows XP.

I'm just still amazed they kept it such a secret for so long.

By al - 2:29 a.m. |

Comments:
I haven't been too impressed with the direction Intel has been going with their Pentium 4 chip. Maybe I'm just looking at it from too much of an academic stand point, but super pipelining and hyperthreading really puts a bad taste in my mouth. I realize super pipelining is what helps achieve the higher clock rate, but the drawbacks of doing this is you get less actual work done per cycle and if you have to flush the pipeline that's quite the hit you have to take. In the end, the general public knows nothing about CPU design, so all they go by is clock rate and Intel can spout out how awesome super-pipelining and hyper-threading are.

I think a P4 is good enough for normal consumers, but price is definitely the big draw for Apple.
 
From what I've been hearing they will continue to shiptthe G5s in the desktop machines, sincde they really are monsters for Floating point and vector calculation, but since IBM has been fucking the dog on mobile G5 chips they just dcecided to go to Intel for that, showing that Intel chip has by far the best performance-per-watt rating.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger