Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Red Hat 9 is Evil. . . .

I remember this horrible debate a long time ago where a lot of people were complaining about Red Hat and some other Linux distros backporting code into their distros. I haven't really seen the problem firsthand, as I was using Mandrake at the time.

I've been taking a linux course this week at work, Linux device drivers and all that fun stuff. Due to company infrastructure concerns, we're doing the old 2.4 kernel. So, we're use Red Hat 9. First, my laptop overheats if the processor runs at full power; it takes about an hour before it crashes. Hard. Red Hat 9/Linux 2.4 does not support CPU frequency scaling, so it runs my processor at full power until it crashes. Red Hat backported 2.5 code into Red Hat 9 and they backported the CPU frequency scaling code. Problem. When I enable that, the kernel does not compile. Bastards. Al, thanks for finding CPUSpeed. Unfortunately, the stock Red Hat 9 kernel does not this support built in and I can't build a kernel with that support in it.
Technorati Tags:

By Ming - 9:57 a.m. |

Comments:
You seriously can't compile a kernel with the module you need included? That seems odd. On my Toshiba, whch was 'legacy free' (i.e., makes linux unhappy), I was able to compile in the specialized ACPI module and control the CPU speed and turn on and off various devices using /proc. That was on whatever Mandrake version was out 3 years ago.

Does your laptop use APM or ACPI? ACPI on 2.4 seemed pretty spotty, but someone rigged up a specific patch for my laptop model so it worked out well enough.
 
Mandrake might work. The point is Red Hat messed up the kernel sources in Red Hat 9. It back ported a bunch of stuff from the development kernel at the time and it doesn't build properly. If I take the stock kernel, it works fine but I don't have the support I need. Appears to be a Red Hat 9 specific issue.
 
I always used stock kernels.. mandrake especially added mountains and mountains of stuff, and it was easier to add the things I needed than to remove all the stuff I didn't.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger