Monday, May 09, 2005

Memos: Robert Smith's Hair Edition

  • I find that if I ever want to talk about something serious with someone I have to arrive ther eby way of lots and lots of stupid humour, because that's the only way I know how to start a conversation. As in, I'll send someone a message with something funny in it, and then try and guage their mood in subsequent messages, before bringing up what I really wanted to talk about. I think I need some kind of mood ring where I can just change it myself to show if I'm wanting to just be goofy or if I'd rather be a little quieter or more thoughtful.

  • The Obsessed are a great metal band. Their earlier stuff is a bit too soaked in doom metal gloominess and imagry, but The Church Within is a later album that seems to have grown beyond the band's roots and is a really excellent just-plain-heavy-metal album. (The ridiculously complex taxonomy of the types of metal music always baffled me.) The Church Within has a sound that sits somewhere at the mathematical mean between Black Sabbath's heavy, rolling riffs and Iron Maiden's pace, melodic bridges and bass playing that stands starkly apart from the guitars. And the guitar solos are totally Iommi-inspired seemingly-messy blues lines. Worth a listen if you've ever been a metal fan.

  • I had a dream the other night, I meant to write it down like I have been doing but the only part I can remember is that I found myself talking to an ex of mine, and I go to say something in her ear and we end up kissing. Not sure what that means, but I woke up shaking my head.

  • I found this poodle drawing yesterday, totally draws the parallel to the way a lion looks, I think it's great. Especially given the unfair image poodles have in North America.



    Found it at the Poodle History Project. The subject came up because poodles were listed as the #2 best working dog breed on one of those discovery channel shows. (Behind border collies, who are perhaps more intelligent than poodles but also more tricksy and hard to deal with.) Poodles are certainly much more dignified than border collies, as well. A friend described standard poodles' demeanor as 'wise', which is very fitting.

By al - 8:56 a.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger