Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Priorities

So apparently the Fred-ezone free wireless network downtown is actually really really fast, as in 800k/s download speeds. Of course the range of the signal extends to about a block from my house (bastards), which means I have to pay crappy Aliant for crappy Vibe that only give a fraction of that download speed, and I also had to buy my own wireless router on top of that.

Now, one of the advantages of having a laptop is that I can take it other places, like the little coffee shops downtown. It just occurred to me that, instead of paying the rather high price for high-speed internet, if I were to go to the Coffee Company place, buy a coffee every day, and do my email and stuff from there for an hour or so I would still end up spending less than if I paid for high-speed access at home. And since I'm a bit of a coffee addict anyway it wouldn't be an entirely new cost.

Since I don't have cable or a mobile phone Internet access is pretty much the only sizeable bill I have to pay each month, if I could get rid of that my minimalist tendencies would be appeased, and I'd probably waste less time online.

Oh well, given this city's employment situation I'll likely be moving away when my lease is up at the end of the month anyway. Too bad I couldn't have made this realization about free WiFi at the beginning of the Summer.

By al - 9:00 p.m. |

Comments:
hey al! i notice you have commented on some of our blog entries so I figured I would reciprocate! Too bad Fredericton has a crappy employment situation! Are you originally from NB? Erin - my sister that I do the blog with - is living in Freddie town right now and loves it although we are both from Toronto. I am in Victoria BC where the job situation is rather bleak but I love the island lifestyle. YAY COFFEE!!
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger