Friday, August 13, 2004

The Bizarro Bachelor Party

OK, so Peter had his bachelor party last night. And by all rights I should still be sleeping right now, but I woke up in a start thinking I had busted my laptop as it was on my end-table with the screen bent back uncomfortably too far. Now that it's on might as well write something, since I'm sure as hell not going to the lab yet.

So last night was the oddest bachelor party ever. Usually one doesn't talk about the goings on at such events, nudge nudge, wink wink, but there really wasn't much to keep secret. Peter was, as Peter always is, in his typical state, doing the rounds, pouring free beer for everyone, stone-cold sober and in charge, and only concerned that other people are having a good time.

Just noticing Peter's rhythms as I sat half-spaced-out listening to Geppy tear it up on stage and remembering every bit of Rush trivia I could muster to converse with Cory, I couldn't help but think ‘if this is how a guy carries himself at his own bachelor party, still as selfless and big-hearted as anyone I've known, Mel is one extremely lucky girl.’ I've known Peter for a long time now, and consider him one of my best friends, and I only have positive things to say about him, as I'm sure most people do. All it took was one guy like him out of a stream of 400-500 students to make MacKenzie House what it was in the day, and why I'll remember it as one of the best times of my life. When I got the first letter from the residence office telling me where I'd be living, realizing I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get Internet access or cable and far from my classes I was rather skeptical reading the words of one Peter Anderson, house president, saying that MacKenzie was the best house there is. I don't know if he was telling the truth at the time he wrote that, but it certainly became true during his time as president and proctor in the house. (as for that bit about the pool...)

I had a spot of nostalgia last night walking through MacKenzie. (incidentally it's where all the wedding guests from away are staying, nice touch.) I did my usual routine of going from where my room was on first floor, down to the pit, saying ‘hello’ to everyone just to make sure I get everyone. I wandered inside the pit lounge, sat down on one of the old couches. Went up the crazy circular staircase into the upstairs lounge, and then walked through the halls of second and third floor looking for activity, as I always did. (probably how I earned the nickname ‘the ghost of MacKenzie’ in first year from Heather.

Well, I think I'm only writing to avoid getting up, but it's definitely time to drain a carton of orange juice and hit the shower for a while.

By al - 8:13 a.m. |

Comments:
TVT here, anyone wanna ask Peter to get in touch with me at 758-2886? I'm heading up with The Duc for the wedding hoping they'll let me in the doors. Wasn't planning to attend because it was too close to my vacation (concerned about delays and such).

I've got gifts from the orient. It's not opium or spices, but it'll hafta do. :)
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger