Sunday, February 24, 2008

jPod Awesomeness

I've really been enjoying the first few episodes of jPod, and am actually glad that they've strayed from the book somewhat, plot-wise. The new developments are something to keep someone who's read the book on their toes.

Just wanted to mention that I just adored the fact that Alan Thicke's character, Jim Jarlewski, uses...



Yes, the cool people know by looking at the power indicator, but for the n00bs,,



YES! An old-school Apple II. That kicks more ass than anyone can imagine. I loved those stickers that came with my first computer, the Apple IIGS. I stuck them on the disk drive and on the side of the monitor, I loved the reverse-rainbow Apple logo.

Round about 2000 or so Apple decided to erase any memory of the rainbow logo in favour of the single-colour blue or grey logo. Tidbit: the last publicly-viewable rainbow Apple logo was on the site of http://www.next.com/, apple's "Enterprise" website. Basically the tiny parked page they put up after Apple acquired Next technologies and Steve Jobs, essentially the bedrock of Mac OS X.

Apple II was where it was at for hackable hardware. I peeked and poked my way to some pretty bizarre shit back in my BASIC days. A BASIC call that let you alter any address in memory and stick in whatever value you wanted was God-like power.

That was a beautiful time.

Labels: , ,

By al - 1:12 a.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger