Monday, September 17, 2007

Career Profile Test Thing - Now With Commentary

I stole this from g. who stole it from Jenna.

1. Go to Career Cruising, www.careercruising.com
2. Put in Username: nycareers and Password: landmark.
3. Take their "Career Matchmaker" questions.
4. Post the results
5. Put the careers you have seriously considered in italics, and the careers in which you have worked/do work in bold.

  1. Multimedia Developer - a couple of the software development jobs I've had would fall into this category. Not sure I'd rush into it again, but there's a lot of neat libraries to play with when you are on a good platform. (i.e., not windows.)

  2. Anthropologist - This was a total surprise, can't picture myself doing the stereotypical trudging through the jungle studying primitive tribes thing, but I do like to read and write about social structures and history which would include anthropology I guess.

  3. Professor - Ugh. No.

  4. Website Designer - Still doing a lot of this, but more on the platform integration / project management end than the pixel-pushing.

  5. Historian - I've always loved history, for sure. Not sure whom I'd work for or what I'd study but maybe historical writer of some sort would be up my alley.

  6. Foreign Language Instructor

  7. ESL Teacher - Wouldn't have the patience

  8. Lobbyist- I'd shoot myself

  9. Economist - I always end up getting caught up in the economics underlying whatever political phenomenon I'm reading about. I could see getting very passionate about this.

  10. Computer Support Person - Been there, done that, buried the bodies.

  11. Corporate Trainer - Training for what?

  12. Fashion Designer - Ugh, what?

  13. Cartoonist / Comic Illustrator - Can't draw for shit, but neither can Scott Adams, so who knows?

  14. Computer Programmer - D'uh.

  15. Jeweler - I'd be too eager to tell you how many African kids lost their arms for the engagement ring I'm making you.

  16. Craftsperson - Total lack of visual crativity would hamper me here, not to mention little to no coordination.

  17. Desktop Publisher - I actually have done a bit of this in my time, flyers, etc. Wouldn't want to have to deal with clients for a living in any kind of visual design job, as it's one of those thigns everyone thinks they have a worthwhile opinion about.

  18. Potter - Harry Potter? Bring it.

  19. Computer Trainer - I can say pretty confidently that I'm a very very good teacher after developing and delivering a couple of technical courses for work. Don't know if I'd want to do it for 8 hours a day 5 days a week but it is an interesting challenge and I enjoy the feedback and answering people's questions.

  20. Criminologist - I get too worked up about corrupt cops and institutional dysfunction in the criminal justice system to want to be a part of it.

  21. Venture Capitalist - I'm too pessimistic, I'd want to take your idea and do it myself because you'll only mess it up.

  22. Electrician - Zap! no thank you.

  23. Curator - I think my impatience for doing ESL teaching would impede me here as well.

  24. Management Consultant - c.f. lobbyist.

  25. Set Designer - No inspiration.

Not bad, nothing really surprising, though I'd have guessed computer programmer would have scored higher based on the way I answered the questions. Maybe I'll just go ask g. to let me come work with her doing anthropology type stuff. :)

Labels: , ,

By al - 8:00 p.m. |

Comments:
I'm doing this, and I will whole-heartedly assume it will answer all of my WHERE IS MY FUTURE GOING?! questions.
 
That username and password doesnt work anymore... so use Username: Belmont and password: careers.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger