Friday, March 11, 2005

Dream Diary - Continuing Love Affair With Technology Edition

I got home from work today and was extremely tired. After work I get a call from my friend Justin asking if I want to go out tonight, I say sure and then promptly fall asleep for an hour or so.

Dream
I am outside what is supposed to be 'that pub that everyone goes to but no one likes', the everytown equivalent of Myron's or the Chestnut. I meet Justin at the front, but tell him I have to run to the ATM to get some cash. The place resembles a long warehouse type building, but with a veranda all around it. In one corner of the building's exterior is a glass door opening to a long, poorly-lit and steep staircase.

At the top of the stairs is a small, circular room with an ATM placed by the wall. It's similar to the other ATM-like machine I dreamed about in that the display was the size of an arcade game.

I put my card in and do the usual thing, not consciously thinking about what buttons I'm pressing, and suddenly I hear a loud buzzer and my card gets spit out. So I put the card back in and it's suddenly asking me all sorts of personal questions like "what is your street address?" and "what day did you start school?" I'm too agitated to answer these questions, and I get to some sort of options menu, where it offers me the choice of two modes: "Overbearing, condescending, and verbose" and "curt and cryptic." (apparently I do make Windows / Unix jokes in my dreams.) But again the card gets spit out.

There's someone else waiting to use the machine, so I step aside and she bloop-bloop-bloops her way to the cash in deliberate efficiency, and I feel like an idiot. But back to the machine, one more try navigating the stranger and stranger questions, me wondering if this is because of the temporary card I got from my bank last week while they send me a new one because my old one got chewed up in my wallet. (real life and dream memories mixing is always a bit unsettling.) But this time when I get a question wrong a blue point of light starts shining above the screen. As I look up, a flash happens, and a Polaroid picture is printed out. (I assume it's of me but I didn't look at it.) Then sirens flash and a message saying the police have been called appears.

Back down the stairs I go, wondering what to do. As I walk along the veranda, slipping through anonymous bargoers, I meet up again with Justin and a couple of his friends, but then the police pull up in the next parking spot over from where we are standing. Two men get out, and are asking each other what they are here for? "probably a bar fight." one says.

Then I approach one, and say "no, it's for me. I was having trouble with the bank machi--" before I finish my sentence they have me handcuffed and have a chain covering my mouth.

I wake up after a bit of rough treatment by the police officers, and the first thing I think to check for is if I have my ATM card in my pocket. And now I'm off to actually go out and meet The Jussy.
Technorati Tags:

By al - 9:40 p.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger