Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The word 'meme' leaves me confused and scared

Stealing this little survery thing from Cynthia Dunsford's site. It's a little more informative than the 'which ice cream flavour do you prefer to eat with brown-haired boys?"-type quizzes.

What do you do? Macintosh software application developer.

What are your challenges? Finding the simplest solution to a problem, having to do a lot with not very much, lots of change, for better or worse.

How do you overcome them? Try to find people who share a continual curiousity and drive to figure things out and solve problems. Attempt to keep that fire burning in myself as well. Try to keep a bigger picture in my mind, including risk factors and realistic solutions.

What is a typical day like? Get up rather late, realize I'm going to be late for work, take a nice long shower anyway. Walk in to work, stop by Timothy's for a ridiculously big cup of coffee on the way. Momentarily envy the people who can do work from there.

Then it's in to work. Mostly this consists of trying to figure out the problem of the day, be it needing to learn some new API, looking up a proper structure for a program window, realizing just how little I know about pre-OS X data structures and API calls that I keep running in to. Also trying to keep the money side of things from distracting me too much.

If the weather isn't too bad I'll go home for lunch, make a sandwich, and then take the dog for a walk, trying not to think about work. Then more of the usual in the afternoon and into the evening, usually.

If it's not too late I'll try and cook something, often trying something semi-new, semi-working with the ingredients I have at the time.

At night I come home meaning to work on something construcive but usually end up mostly reading news and blogs or listening to music.

How do you manage information (Emails, blogs, etc.)? Stickies, del.icio.us / RSS Digest (bookmarks), OS X Mail.app / Thunderbird (email), Skype / MSN (IM, VoIP), Blogger, Picasa / Flickr (photos), Sharpreader (RSS)

What are your 3 to 5 favourite books?

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Microserfs - Douglas Coupland

What are you favourite websites/blogs?

MetaFilter
Ars Technica
Atrios
James Wolcott
The blogs in my sidebar are the ones I check about once a day.

What tools/technology do you use? Toshiba Satellite 5000 notebook, Kodak CX740 digital camera, basically do everything on the laptop from music to movies to TV shows to communication.

What is your favourite quote? "Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony." -- Mohandas Gandhi

What is your secret to success? Another quote: "Winners do the things losers don't want to do"

What are your greatest accomplishments? Personal? Professional? I'll let you know when I'm dead.

What are your hobbies? Or how do you break the monotony and stay energized? Cooking, guitar, listening to music, reading, long walks by myself.

By al - 11:44 a.m. |

Comments:
I wonder how much better Dostoevsky's writing style is in Russian.
 
From what I've heard, not much. He seems to have left the poetry to others.
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger