Sunday, July 18, 2004

What's in a Name?

Orkut is Google's attempt to clone and (allegedly) improve on Friendster. They're doing an asstastic job of it so far from what I've heard, but I'm only a member of Freindster and Orkut is invite only and apparently being overrun by Brazillian Portuguese speakers.

But none of that is the point. The point is that “orkut” is rude Finnish slang for “orgasms.”

Also, phoenetically in Dutch it comes out sounding like “ear cunt.”

I know Google are supposed to be wacky and creative, but there's something to this market research stuff, you know :)

By al - 6:47 a.m. |

Comments:
I've been on for ages, I was surprised I even remembered my logon the first time. I'll see if I can send an invite...
 
Hey, just got it. Thanks :) Time to play the 'fill out yet another online profile' game. w00t!
 
Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger