Saturday, June 26, 2004

I think I'm turning into a bit of an old cyber-crank. Now whenever I get a piece of spam, despite UNB's SpamAssassin and Thunderbird catching 99% of it, I will still look at the message headers to see if it came from a major ISP. If it did then I now forward the message to 'abuse@tiscali.co.uk' or 'abuse@yahoo.com' or whatever. This has produced a rather satisfying result of having people's internet accounts cancelled, which is slightly more satisfying than simply hitting the delete button, or trying to come up with yet another nigerian email scam joke, like 'Mr. Ambassador? Didn't you die last year too? You had more money back then.'

The sufficiently generic names at the bottom of the email message sound suspiciously like fake call-centre names. I can only imagine some poor support drone in India having to track down a spammer on my account who now goes by the name of 'max' just so I don't feel uncomfortable about outsourcing, and I am still to imagine a dot-com era Silicon Valley office full of happy young programmers.

Shit now I feel guilty about making my buddy Max do more work. Poor Max...

By al - 6:19 p.m. |

    follow me on Twitter

    al's del.icio.us Links

    • www.flickr.com
      This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from dragonofsea. Make you own badge here.
    •  
    • (al)



    • Powered by Blogger